Do you know someone that is looking for a job? Of course you do! How do I know that? I know that because you get the same emails that I do that say, in so many words, the economy sucks, you know who’s hiring? If you do, send them my resume because its attached. Chances are you received these type of emails from family members, friends and people whom you have no idea where they came from. Am I right?
Well, if you know someone who has tried this method of prospecting the hidden job market and did not get anywhere, maybe it was due to their approach. I do not want to bash anyone, but some people do not make it easy for me to help them. I mean, my heart goes out to anybody who is looking for work. (Why would I write so much on the topic if I did not have sympathy for those suffering this plight?) But, dude, make it easy on me. Three sentences and a resume is not doing it for me. May I offer a suggestion? Check out a request for assistance that was forwarded to me recently.
(2) First and foremost, I must THANK YOU for being an instrumental and valuable connection for my personal and professional growth here in Atlanta! Just knowing you is inspiring to the success I’m trying to build for myself and constantly reminds me to work harder and push further toward my next level… and that “next level” is exactly why I’m reaching out to you today. (3) By the way, I remember your being a fan of the TV show “24.” You might find this article interesting: How Will Jack Bauer Spend His Vacation Until The ’24’ Movie? I hope it makes you smile.
(4) As you know, I am currently a producer/programming assistant at [ censored ] in Atlanta, [ censored ]. I’ve enjoyed my experience there; however, it is not currently yielding desired growth or opportunities for career progression, nor does it provide what I need to take care of financial responsibilities. Thus, I have found it very necessary to pursue full-time opportunities that will help me achieve these desires.
(5) I NEED YOUR HELP!
In effort to maximize my chances at obtaining gainful employment, I’m enlisting your help, in hopes that you can reach out to your contacts who you believe will benefit greatly from my skills and experience.(6) I specialize and can perform within the following business, education or media related areas and titles:
- Radio/TV Broadcasting – Show Producer, Associate Producer, Programming Assistant, Web Content Producer, Assignment Editor, Program Coordinator, Assistant Program Director, Production Coordinator/Manager
- Public/Media Relations – Public Relations Coordinator/Specialist, Media Relations Liaison, Community Relations Coordinator/Manager
- Writing – Writer, Editor, Editorial Assistant, Proofreader, Copywriter, Scriptwriter, Script Supervisor
- Business/Marketing/Event Planning – Marketing Communications Coordinator, Event Coordinator, Special Events Coordinator, Manager, Supervisor
- Education – Teacher, Substitute, Administrative Assistant, Trainer, Paraprofessional
- Administrative Positions – Customer Service Manager/Coordinator, Executive Assistant, Office Manager, Administrative Assistant
Once again, I ask that you forward my resume to your contacts that need someone like me, or if you come across opportunities that require online applications, (7) just shoot me an email and/or the requisition #s and I will complete the process J. Also, I can provide excellent references and tailored cover letters whenever necessary.
(8) TARGETED COMPANIES: Turner Broadcasting, Time Warner, BET, TV-One, WXIA-TV, WATL-TV, WGCL-TV, WSB-TV, WAGA-TV, WUPA/CW-69, Tyler Perry Studios, GA Public Broadcasting, School Systems (APS, Fulton, DeKalb, Cobb), Colleges/Universities, Federal Government, Non-Profits, etc…
(9) WITH REGARD TO LOCATION – I desire to stay in the Atlanta area, but I am open to opportunities in the DMV (DC/MD/VA) area. Wherever the right opportunity is, that’s where I want to be.
(10) WITH REGARD TO PAY –My desired pay is $40K or above. I am open to reasonable negotiations within that immediate range. I desire a full-time, salaried position with full benefits and the possibility of 401K/stock options… this is non-negotiable and are the only opportunities I can/will consider at this time.
(11) WHAT I’M NOT LOOKING FOR – As stated above, I am only considering full-time opportunities that can guarantee salary and benefits. I will not consider any multi-level marketing, commission based cold calling, or initial work for start-up companies. Freelancing work for individual or start-up companies is possible, but I will only pursue those opportunities AFTER full-time work has been secured.
(12) I hope my requests don’t come off as asking for too much, or as being too picky because I’m not. I’m a dedicated, hard-working woman and at this particular point in my life, I have to be authentic in my worth. Hands down, what I bring to the table through skill, experience and instinctive talent is worthy of investment… and anyone I’ve worked with, or for, can attest to that J
(13) I know that you have a very busy schedule, and from the depths of me, I THANK YOU for ANY assistance that you can provide. I’ve sown so many seeds since being here in Atlanta and I look forward to reaping the HARVEST of a rewarding opportunity…thanks for helping me take this step in enjoying just that!
[ censored ]
(14) Writer | Producer | Multi Media Professional
(15) Facebook | Linkedin | Twitter | Blog
Why is this a cool prospecting letter? These are my notes:
(1) Although this person has (probably) sent this same email to several of her contacts, they took the time to personalize it. Or at the least, used a program that does it for them. (Smile)
(2) They start off giving me warm and fuzzy feelings. That’s a good thing because if I feel good about them, I will more than likely remember them later.
(3) We actually know each other and gave me information that I actually have an interest in. (Who doesn’t love Jack Bauer?)
(4) Thank you for reminding me of who you are. I don’t have the best memory.
(5) Keeping it real. I can appreciate that. I feel good about you and now I can (hopefully/maybe) be of help to them.
(6) Bullet points make it easier on me to pidgeon hole you.
(7) All I have to do is send you a lead and you will follow through? Cool. Thank you for not asking me to connect you to my closest connections when I barely remember you.
(8) Very nice. It saves us both time when we both know what you want.
(9) Very nice. It saves us both time when we both know what you want.
(10) Very nice. It saves us both time when we both know what you want.
(11) Very nice. It saves us both time when we both know what you want.
(12) Honesty is always appreciated.
(13) Ending the request on a positive note is also good.
(14) Thanks again for pointing out your preferred jobtitles. Again, I don’t have the best memory.
(15) Oh cool, you are on Twitter and Linkedin. I will connect with you that way as well.
I hope this proves useful to you and your connections.