Do you know what a TLD (top level domain) is? Wikipedia describes it like this…
A top-level domain (TLD) is one of the domains at the highest level in the hierarchical Domain Name System of the Internet. The top-level domain names are installed in the root zone of the name space. For all domains in lower levels, it is the last part of the domain name, that is, the last label of a fully qualified domain name.
That’s a bit verbose for my taste. I would simply say its the suffix of an internet address. For example… “.com,” “.net” or “.org.” Okay, now you know, so what does it matter? Well, it matters plenty if you are looking for work overseas.
Each country has its own TLD and as such, you can limit your Google searches for results that are only on that TLD. Umm… Okay, I’m losing you. Let me show you a few things.
Let’s say I wanted to find a Project Manager job in Australia. I would so a search like the one below. Just in case you are new to my jobsearch kungfu, this is what my search is asking Google to do.
- site:au – Search for documents that are on the websites ending in “au” which is the top level domain for Australia.
- intitle:jobs – Search for the word “jobs” in the title of a web document.
- intitle:project.manager – Search for web documents that have “project manager” in its title
- I want the words “submit” and “apply” in the results I find because on job descriptions I typically see “submit your resume” or “apply to this job.”
- inurl:job – Finally, I am asking Google to restrict my search results to those documents that have “job” in its URL as well.
The advantage of this type of search is that Google indexes a lot of websites that you have never heard of and among them, job boards you’ve never heard of. So… Yeah, you get it. Search Google this way and you will find jobs in specific regions from job boards that you have never heard of. (Really cool!) Now this type of search will work with any TLD, so you can target any country you like. Here are a few more searches to spark your imagination.
- site:co.uk intitle:jobs intitle:programmer submit apply (Programmer jobs in the United Kingdom)
- site:ie intitle:jobs intitle:electrical.engineer submit apply (Electrical Engineer jobs in Ireland)
- site:za intitle:jobs intitle:chemist submit apply (Chemist jobs in South Africa)
See how that works? If you don’t know the TLD for a particular country that you want to relocate to, click here for a list.
JimFollow me on Social Media: