Today marks the debut of a new podcast – “Things I Think About.” Its focus is history, culture and politics. My goal is to present various points of view on diverse topics and encourage civil discourse, as much as possible. We’ll see how that goes. My premiere episode is below. Let me know your thoughts?
There is a place for passion and there is a place for facts.
I saw a video of a young woman engaging a senior citizen over her desire to tear down a statue; both African-American. The woman was irate and near the point of violence. The man of a certain age was calm, resolute and determined to have a civil discourse. As I watched it all play out, I wondered, how can society ever have civil discussions and peaceful resolutions when one side refuses to hear the other? I don’t have all the answers but, I do offer a few suggestions in this episode. | Special thanks to my sponsor – Black History Quiz!
Resources cited in this podcast:
- Black History Quiz | Revue
- (19) Sagnik Basu on Twitter: ““Why are you protecting it?!” BLM activist gets into a verbal exchange with an older black guy who was speaking up against tearing the statue down. #emancipationstatue https://t.co/4crUOJhDFP” / Twitter
- (19) Sarah Haider 🚀 on Twitter: “I don’t care much for statues. But the #emancipationstatue is an exception. Paid for by freed slaves, it’s poignant message is being misunderstood and ignored by self-righteous young activists, who see it as yet another hateful symbol to be destroyed. https://t.co/4IUwvpbglF” / Twitter
- Why People Ignore Facts | Psychology Today
- SocArXiv Papers | Exposure to Opposing Views can Increase Political Polarization: Evidence from a Large-Scale Field Experiment on Social Media
- DC’s Emancipation Memorial, target of protests, was funded by former slaves: reports | Fox News
- Some want D.C.’s Lincoln statue gone. Others point out: Freed Black Americans paid for it. | WJLA
- Historical Re-Enactor: Freed Slave In DC’s Emancipation Memorial “Is Not Kneeling, He’s In The Act Of Getting Up” | Video | RealClearPolitics
- (19) Sam Pye on Twitter: “VIDEO: A predominately white crowd of #BlackLivesMatter 🇨🇳 /#Antifa supporters attempts to silence a black man defending the Lincoln #emancipationstatue in Washington DC. https://t.co/YaHQjkpIBJ #WhitePrivilege #AntifaTerrorist #BLM #racism #BorisJohnson 🇨🇳 #Trump 🇺🇸” / Twitter
- (19) Simulation Warlord🇺🇸 on Twitter: “More scenes from #WashingtonDCProtest tonight at the #emancipationstatue as a black gentleman spits his views https://t.co/bBxUb1vS2Z” / Twitter
- (19) Simulation Warlord🇺🇸 on Twitter: “Black gentleman says BLM people are full of shit. “How much of this black history do you know in #WashingtonDC “ #emancipationstatue #WashingtonDCProtest #LincolnPark 👀👀🦉🦉https://t.co/T9DYaE5OEs” / Twitter