NOTE: At some point, before bed, I read through 50+ news sources and share my findings here. If you like it, share it. If you don’t, share it. Follow my blog now to support my work or to find new reasons to complain about it. My opinions are my own. All tips are welcome.
Why not just create a better product?
If no one wants to buy your product, you have a few options.
- Option A: Improve your product.
- Option B: Stop selling your product and sell something else.
- Option C: Cancel your competition so there is no other choice.
I think most sober minded individuals would choose options A or B. However, there are those who see Option C as the most logical step and more often than not, they lean left on the political spectrum. To see this illustrated to the fullest, watch the war on conservative content. Check out the video in the tweet below:
Former Facebook insider Alex Stamos tells @brianstelter: “We have to turn down the capability of these Conservative influencers to reach these huge audiences… There are people on YouTube for example that have a larger audience than daytime CNN.” pic.twitter.com/gP0XtnjhCQ— Daily Caller (@DailyCaller) January 17, 2021
The Revolver gave a detailed analysis on this clip. Here is some of what they said:
Back to the transcript:
Stamos: One of the places you can see this is the fact that you know have competitors to Fox News on their Right — OANN, Newsmax — which are carried by all the major cable networks, who are trying to now outflank Fox on the right because the moment Fox introduced any kind of realism into their reporting, immediately a bunch of people chose to put themselves into a sealed ecosystem. And they can do that both on cable, they can do it online, and that becomes a huge challenge in figuring out, how do you bring those people back into the mainstream of fact-based reporting and try to get us all back into the same consensual reality.
Here we see Stamos ominously mention that OANN and Newsmax are carried by all major cable television providers (he erroneously refers to “providers” as “networks”). Despite his verbal slip, his intention is clear. CNN has been actively campaigning for weeks to have rival news networks deplatformed by cable providers. CNN would like Fox News banned in addition to OANN and Newsmax. Stamos is somewhat more conciliatory and thinks Fox News should be allowed to stay on the air, as long as they remain anti-Trump.
There is a lot more to the article and I would recommend you check it out. In a nutshell, these are reasons why they say the conservative outlets FOX, Newsmax and OANN should be deplatformed.
- They (Conservatives on YouTube) have the ability to reach audiences bigger than CNN.
- People have too much choice and that freedom is being abused by bad actors.
- Conservative outlets do not carry the same messaging as CNN and thus, operating outside of reality.
- Trump supporters are akin to Isis terrorists. As such, their communications should be limited in order to suppress radicalization.
- Although admitting that Americans have freedom of speech, they debated whether or not Verizon, AT&T, Comcast and the like should be enabling said speech.
It is this kind of thinking that makes me so concerned for our country. Why ban ideas? Why not bring all ideas into the sun, debate them and let the bad ideas fall away? When big tech bans Conservative content it does not do their side any favors. It places them in the uniform of a totalitarian dictator who is not content until the only dancing is to the music they play. When that happens, bigger rebellions are inevitable.
CNN and other media outlets are notabout business, they are about propaganda. At least, it seems so to me. If they were about business, they would add more Conservative voices to their line up. Check out the stats from this December 16, 2020 article.
- FOX News Channel Smashes Records With Highest-Rated Year in Cable News History Across Total Day and Primetime Viewership
- FNC Finishes 2020 as Most-Watched Basic Cable Network for Fifth Consecutive Year, Becomes First Cable News Network Ever to End Year with More Than Three Million Viewers in Primetime
- FNC Remains the Number One Television Network in Weekday Primetime, Outpacing all Broadcast Networks in Total Viewers Beginning in 2Q’2020
- “Hannity” Tops Cable News for Fourth Year in a Row with Total Viewers, Besting All-Time Record for Highest-Rated Year in Cable News History
- “Tucker Carlson Tonight” Delivers its Highest-Rated Year Ever, Finishes as Most-Watched Cable News Program in 25-54 Demographic
- Two Dozen FNC Programs Deliver Largest Audiences in Network History; FNC Telecasts Make up 41 of the Top 100 Cable Telecasts in 2020
And while many conservative viewers broke away from Fox News Channel over election reporting, Tucker Carlson Tonight is still the most watched cable news show in the history of cable news. Fox News losses is Newsmax’ gain. The thirst for conservative news makes similar outlets to Newsmax a coveted target for acquisition. So, why wouldn’t CNN, MSNBC and other mainstream outlets adjust their programming to be more competitive? Simply put, they have chosen option C and our country is worse off because of it.
Option C: Cancel your competition so there is no other choice.
Thanks for reading. More news soon. If you have not already, please subscribe. In the interim, are you listening to my podcast series – The Things I Think About? If you like my daily “Now What?” series, you will love my podcast. Umm… I hope. See for yourself.