NOTE: At some point, before bed, I read through 50+ news sources and share my findings here. If you like it, share it. If you don’t, share it. Follow my blog now to support my work or to find new reasons to complain about it. My opinions are my own. All tips are welcome. And if you have not already, help spread the message that people should be judged by the content of their character and not the color of their skin.
Job Hunting? UnVaxxed? Winter is Coming.
Rent.com surveyed more than a thousand renters about jobs, household expenses, average rent and financial issues. The data they collected did not paint an optimistic picture. In a nutshell…
For many renters, buying a home is now well out-of-reach
Rent is going up (almost 10 percent)
Worst of all, in July, 6.4 million people were behind in their rent
The solution for many will be to a) get another job or b) get an additional job. However, that may prove more difficult than in times past due to Covid-19 concerns. Here are some stats from ResumeBuilder [Published on September 16, 2021].
To gauge how employers are handling hiring in the time of COVID vaccines, ResumeBuilder.com surveyed 1,250 hiring managers across the U.S. this August regarding their preferences for seeing vaccine statuses on resumes, as well as their company’s COVID-19 vaccine policies.
- 33% of hiring managers will automatically eliminate resumes that don’t include a COVID-19 vaccine status
- 69% of hiring managers are more likely to hire someone who has already been vaccinated against COVID-19
- As of August 2021, 63% of companies are mandating COVID-19 vaccines for employees
For people who choose not to be vaccinated, life is increasingly being complicated. As such, I predict that we will see LOTS more freelance platforms where people can hustle up next month’s rent. One such platform is Braintrust Network, a decentralized gig platform that allows users to keep 100% of their earnings. The Hustle discussed Braintrust Network in their newsletter. Here is a quote…
Freelancing is hotter than ever in a post-pandemic economy, but it has downsides — one being the 20%-40% cuts taken by talent sites like Upwork and Toptal.
Braintrust Network is looking to change that
The nonprofit is building a user-owned tech talent network that removes middlemen and lets talent set their own rates, keeping 100% of what they earn. Clients are charged a 10% flat fee, used to fund network operations.
Braintrust promises access to Fortune 1000 clients, from Nestlé to Nike to NASA, and the company matches talent with clients.
Braintrust says this system means talent keeps 20%-45% more of their earnings, and companies save 50%-75% more than they would with traditional hiring.
If you choose to not get vaccinated (your body, your choice) its not a bad thing to have a side hustle to fall back on; especially if you think your job may be in jeopardy because of it. Along those lines, here are more resources for your consideration.
- 80 Best Freelance Jobs Websites (to Get Freelance Work) 2021
- 21+ New Low Competition Freelancing Sites You Should Join in 2021
- Best Freelance Platforms
- 50+ BEST Freelancing Websites for Beginners in 2021
- Top 20 Freelance Podcasts
- 11 Best Podcasts For Freelancers
- Video – How to Start Freelancing with NO EXPERIENCE in 2021
- Video – The secret to being a successful freelancer
- Video – The Future is Freelancing