Jim Stroud / Atlanta, GA / email@example.com / 404-939-5752
Over the past decade, Jim Stroud has built an expertise in sourcing and recruiting strategy, public speaking, lead generation, video production, podcasting, online research, competitive intelligence, online community management and training. He has consulted for such companies as Microsoft, Google, MCI, Siemens, Bernard Hodes Group and a host of startup companies. During his tenure with Randstad Sourceright, he alleviated the sourcing and recruiting headaches of Randstad clients worldwide as its Global Head of Sourcing and Recruiting Strategy. Recently, he served ClickIQ as its VP, Product Evangelist.
Jim Stroud has created and sold five online properties, managed an award-winning blog, published a weekly newsletter for jobseekers, a recruiter training magazine and co-hosted a popular technology podcast. Jim Stroud has also produced multiple web series devoted to such topics as: job search, recruiting, technology and language learning. Jim Stroud has been quoted by such publications as Globe and Mail, US News and World Report, Wall Street Journal and The Atlanta Journal and Constitution. Monster.com, Entrepreneur Magazine, Black Enterprise and The HR Examiner have all cited Jim Stroud for his digital influence. Jim Stroud also served as the emcee of SourceCon, the premier global conference on sourcing for three consecutive years. He has also presented as a keynote speaker at Sourcing Summit Europe, Sourcing Summit Asia, the Australasian Talent Conference, Recruiters Hub NZ and TRU London. Jim Stroud is the author of five HR related books, produces the “Its all recruiting” podcast and the video series – “The Jim Stroud Show.”
OCTOBER 2018 – PRESENT
DIGITAL CONTENT PRODUCER, JimStroud.com
As a digital content producer, I develop creative strategies that inform and support the ongoing narrative of my clients. Moreover, I understand and report on various social metrics such as growth, engagement, conversation, amplification and leads across channels to guide overall social platform strategy. Often operating as a one-person team, I am adept at capturing great video in social content situations and leveraging that content for SEO benefit.
JimStroud.com is a media company producing, aggregating and distributing content related to the world of work and emerging technologies. Due to his original thought leadership commentaries in articles, white papers, podcasts, videos, conference presentations and comics, Jim Stroud has been cited numerous times as a leading HR influencer. In addition to producing podcasts and videos under the Jim Stroud brand, JimStroud.com also produces videos and podcasts for lead generation, product promotion and employment branding.
“The Jim Stroud Podcast” and “The Jim Stroud Show” video series both explore the future of work, life and everything in between! Tune in to hear quirky and thoughtful analysis on things happening now and 15 minutes into the future. Both shows are available at JimStroud.com. The Jim Stroud Podcast is also available on iTunes, Spotify, Anchor, Stitcher, Google Play Music, Google Podcasts and your favorite podcast platform. Show transcripts are available at JimStroud.com.
FEBRUARY 2019 – JUNE 2019
VP, PRODUCT EVANGELIST – NA, ClickIQ
As VP, Product Evangelist – North America, my primary deliverables were two-fold: product evangelism and business development. My duties were to elevate brand awareness in North America, inspire others to promote ClickIQ as the standard in automated job advertising and generate requests for product demos via influencer marketing.
March 2014 – OCTOBER 2018
GLOBAL HEAD OF SOURCING AND RECRUITING STRATEGY, Randstad Sourceright US
As the Global Head of Sourcing and Recruiting Strategy, my duties and privileges are a blend of project management, sourcing strategy development, training, sales presentations, business lead generation, corporate evangelism, thought leadership and special projects. I service a variety of clients from such diverse industries as manufacturing, software development, automotive, retail, semiconductor and telecom. Although chiefly operating in the United States, I have presented solutions to senior leadership and resolved problems for organizations in the APAC and EMEA regions. Furthermore, I have represented my employer at global conferences in Singapore, Amsterdam, New Zealand, Budapest, Australia and Czech Republic. I have also been chosen multiple times to speak on behalf of the company to the media and as a result, several of my quotes appear in leading publications.
Internal to the company, I have made investment recommendations and advised product enhancements on companies we have funded. I serve as a virtual mentor to all Randstad operating companies via an internal community where tips and best practices are shared. I frequently volunteer my time to our Hire Hope program which provides career-readiness training and job placement services to underserved and at-risk women. Moreover, I have formally and informally mentored co-workers on career matters and continue to advocate Randstad Sourceright as an excellent place to work.
- Partner with the Randstad teams supporting our clients and create optimum sourcing strategies which starts with a review of legacy methods, a brainstorming of new ideas, regular meetings for the sake of continuous process improvement and later documenting success as a best practice.
- Explain progress of recruitment activities at quarterly business reviews to client’s senior leadership. In the process, use data and analytics to provide insight and fuel commentary on local labor market.
- Operating as a trusted partner, I demonstrated strategic thinking by deciphering complex recruitment issues into phased work streams, analyzed trends and patterns to determine root cause of hiring obstacles and relentlessly pursued creative and cost-effective sourcing strategies.
- Updated legacy training modules devoted to sourcing and recruitment methods.
- Created and maintained two internal communities that promoted life at Randstad, sourcing methods and trends in recruitment.
- Produced a series of webinars, videos, podcasts, articles and newsletters explaining sourcing methodology. Said material was made available throughout all of the Randstad operating companies.
- On a bi-monthly basis, produced a lead list of potential customers for Randstad.
- Accompanied the sales team on prospect calls, explained our sourcing methods and demonstrated our capabilities by producing leads for their hard-to-fill reqs. I have been credited as a leading factor in closing several key customers.
- Presented at private roundtable events for Randstad customers where I discussed market trends and future developments in recruiting.
- Facilitated a monthly meeting with Randstad sourcing leaders where we discussed recruitment issues affecting regions in EMEA, APAC and the USA.
- Produced and contributed to multiple white papers and articles on trends in recruitment which were made available to the public.
- Frequently requested to speak at global conferences on trends in recruiting.
July 2011 – Jan 2014
DIRECTOR, SOURCING AND SOCIAL STRATEGY, Bernard Hodes Group / Findly
I worked with digital and account team members to build effective social recruitment and employer brand strategies. I conducted hands-on and virtual training for human resources and recruiting teams of clients in support of a comprehensive social recruiting strategy. Furthermore, I have participated in and shared responsibility in new business pitches of digital and social strategy.
Serving as a subject matter expert, I have trained internal sales staff on lead generation strategies and regularly informed my peers on new trends in the arena of social and mobile recruiting. Moreover, I stayed current on digital innovations so as to brainstorm new solution and product offerings.
During my tenure, I represented my employer at conferences and evangelized the brand via a series of online videos and miscellaneous content. I was often solicited for repeat client engagements and invited to return to conferences where I spoke on behalf of my employer. Findly acquired Bernard Hodes Group in July 2013.
March 2008 – March 2011
SOCIAL MEDIA DEVELOPMENT MANAGER, GlobalEnglish, Brisbane, CA
While working remotely from Atlanta, I developed and implemented innovative strategies for web-based user procurement for the English learning community – EnglishCafe. I also acted as a community manager keeping our users engaged and converting them into evangelists for the EnglishCafe brand. My duties also extended to content creation and management, competitive intelligence and working with web developers in the design and usability of the web site. I also lead a team of marketing interns to perform various SEO and community engagement tasks.
During my tenure at EnglishCafe, my duties included but were not limited to the following:
- Planned and oversaw the organization’s promotion activities specifically linked to its web presence.
- Created, engaged and grew a thriving online community of over 50,000 English learners across multiple social networks (such as YouTube, Facebook and Twitter) along with consistent interaction of 90,000+ members on the EnglishCafe website.
- Created and facilitated online contests for the purposes of retaining members and attracting new users to EnglishCafe.
- Experimented with various online web 2.0 tools, introduced them to the community, then gauged user reactions to make compelling arguments for new website functionality.
Content Creation and Management
- Produced 350+ blog posts that included original podcasts, videos and comics that I created.
- Produced several English lessons and how-to articles for the “Help Section” of the website.
- Produced 2 video series for English learners and a podcast series for English teachers and distributed them online and via iTunes.
- Managed content from internal thought leaders and community for placement on the homepage which changed twice daily.
- Prepared reports on online initiatives, including charts and graphs, and presented recommendations for action plans to management.
- Managed a blogger outreach campaign for the purposes of attracting teachers to participate on the EnglishCafe platform.
- Used a video series and contests to drive traffic to various landing pages in order to attract new users, increase community engagement and sell company products.
- Researched, analyzed, and monitored financial, technological, and demographic factors in order to capitalize on market opportunities and minimize the effects of competitive activity.
- Monitored user sentiment on EnglishCafe and competitor websites in order to formulate best practices.
MAY 2005 – March 2008
TECHNICAL SOURCING CONSULTANT, Microsoft, Redmond, WA
While working remotely from Atlanta, I implemented a wide range of online resources, software, web enabled tools and innovative stratagems to source active and passive candidates. Initially my focus was on placed on identifying senior technical personnel for the Win Client and Mobile and Embedded Devices Groups then towards the end of my tenure, I pursued software developers all over the world for the International Recruiting Team.
- Conducted special projects in the field of Marketing, Competitive Intelligence, International Recruitment Research and Online Research Training.
- Consistent contributor to the Microsoft Technical Careers @ Microsoft blog which was awarded for “Best Group Blog” and “Best Job Seeker Blog” by Recruiting.com during my tenure.
- Created a series of articles called “Speak Geek” to spark internal creative problem-solving debates on current sourcing methods.
- Created and maintained an internal blog for communicating to my group the status of requested projects and industry-specific news and gossip.
- Contributed in the formation of a group SharePoint site designed for the sharing of intelligence.
- Created and maintained wikis that focused on the recruitment landscape of various countries.
- Presented several training sessions on innovative sourcing strategies domestically and overseas.
- Implemented Social Media stratagems (MySpace, YouTube, podcasts, and videos) to market opportunities to passive candidates and fill open positions that were historically difficult to close.
December 2004 – April 2005
SEARCHOLOGIST, Google, Mountain View, CA
Engaged in confidential strategic sourcing projects working remotely from Atlanta. Strong focus on recruiting experienced Software Engineers and developing a Talent Pipeline. Created internal blog of sourcing strategies for sharing techniques with team members. Contributed towards a recruitment video for attracting female software engineers.
March 2003 – November 2004
STRATEGIC STAFFING CONSULTANT, Siemens Energy & Automation, Alpharetta, GA
Hired as a contract employee within this startup division of consolidated recruitment services. Chief responsibility was sourcing personnel in the areas of Materials, Distribution, Engineering, Factory Automation and Logistics.
In regard to Strategic Staffing:
- Successfully sourced the internet for candidate sourcing and lead generation of referrals in support of diverse requisitions on a national basis.
- As a resource for future use, created a network of jobseeker groups nationwide.
- Leveraged online resources for competitive intelligence. For example, virtual maps of competitors’ operations were created for the purpose of targeting the best talent for certain geographic areas.
- Initiated and maintained a database of present and former employees of rival companies.
- Developed and utilized stratagems on how to generate targeted leads from current employees and gathered metrics to better qualify best practices.
August 1999 – December 2002
ACCOUNT EXECUTIVE/ LEAD RECRUITER, LANTA, Atlanta, GA
Hired as the 3rd employee in this startup organization that focused on staffing post and pre-IPO Internet companies in Atlanta. Generated net revenues for Lanta surpassing $700,000.00. Said number is representative of fees collected as a result of placing permanent, contract and contract to hire personnel.
As a Lead Recruiter:
- Developed and implemented processes and strategies to recruit qualified candidates for available positions, including candidate sourcing, evaluation and selection.
- Developed and implemented approaches for the sourcing of permanent and contract candidates, including outside agencies, internal database, commissioned databases, technical schools, internet resources and managed the relationship with candidate sources.
- Developed and implemented interview questions and approaches to better select candidates most qualified for applicable position.
- Facilitated the full life-cycle recruiting process from initial screening to negotiating and closing the salary requirement.
- Trained staff recruiters and interns on office policies and sourcing techniques.
- Developed, implemented and reported measurements as to recruiting process effectiveness and productivity.
- Suggested enhancements to company policies and procedures that would improve its overall recruiting methods, business development efforts and commission structures currently enacted.
In regard to Corporate Communications:
- Created and pitched sales language to management, which was subsequently adopted as the template for an electronic brochure; said material was then distributed to potential clients via email.
- Produced an electronic “shopping list” of top candidates and submitted them to clients; each candidate was presented anonymously with a brief description of their background and position sought.
- Created recruitment advertising copy and layout that promoted Lanta Technology Group as the recruiting agency of choice for startup companies.
In regard to Networking:
- Attended several networking functions, representing employer in New Office Open Houses, Association Meetings, After 5 Mixers and College sponsored programs.
- Served on panels, engaging public dialogue before College Alumnae and Students, detailing the pros and cons of working in the Internet Age.
- Coached Jobseeker groups on job hunting strategies, resume formatting and interview techniques.
In regard to Business Development:
- Generated new business while developing and managing existing accounts. This was achieved through engaging conversations at various functions, cold calling and interacting with existing contacts.
- Successfully wrote and promoted an e-book for the purpose of generating passive candidates.
May 1999 – July 1999
CONTRACT RECRUITER, The CRS Edge, Atlanta, GA
- First contract employee for this Internet Start-up Company.
- Sourced potential hires for various clients in addition to brainstorming innovative recruiting techniques.
- Team lead on developing Websites for clientele.
March 1997 – April 1999
INTERNET RESEARCHER, MCI, Atlanta, GA
Hired as contract employee and acquired a permanent position within a year. 2nd employee in this startup division that focused on Internet Research. Chief responsibility was sourcing technical personnel via the Internet. Initially screened candidates before presentation to recruiters, before switching to a source and select model of research. Electronic recruiting methods were proactive and reactive in measure, supporting recruiter requests in addition to finding potential candidates for future positions.
- Sourced 43 hires, in support of 30 recruiters.
- Internet Research accounted for 20% of all hires.
- “Best Of The Web” award for Jobs2Go, an online careersite.
- Created a Virtual Jobfair generating 125 applicants in one week.
- Created XMCI, an online forum for downsized employees that is still in operation today.
- Created and taught lunchtime classes on Internet basics for the purpose of personnel enhancement.
In regard to strategic initiatives:
- Assisted in the plotting of mass hires via Banner Advertising, Job Fairs, Media Placement and Online Promotion directed towards minority candidates.
- Monitored trends in electronic recruiting via multiple news feeds, online magazines and networking with recruiter associations.
- Maintained an Intranet webpage detailing online and offline resources pertinent to recruiting potential candidates; including but not limited to: Women and Minority Candidates, Upcoming Job Fairs, User Groups and Associations.
1985 – 1989
GA STATE UNIVERSITY, Atlanta, GA
Studied Film and Video with a minor in English.
* MITE – Minority Technology Entrepreneurs, Member
* AITA – Atlanta IT Alliance, Former Board Member
* SCIP – Society of Competitive Intelligence Professionals
* Atlanta Media Bloggers (Local Blogging Community)
* Metro Atlanta Recruiting Channel (Local Recruiters Networking Group)